A simple to make chocolate flavoured cream cheese frosting which is neither too rich nor too sweet. Perfect as a filling or frosting for a large cake and as a topping for cupcakes.
You will love this cream cheese frosting because it is
- easy to make
- creamy and smooth
- deliciously chocolatey
- lower in fat than buttercream frosting
- not too sweet
This is one of my favourite frostings, it has more flavour and is less sweet than the more well known buttercream frostings and is also lower in fat. To my mind chocolate cream cheese frosting is as Goldilocks would describe - just right.
Like buttercream, it's also very easy to make. The cream cheese is beaten until softened, then mixed with icing sugar to sweeten before finally adding some melted chocolate.
Top Tip: Let your cream cheese warm up a little before adding the chocolate. If it is too cold then the chocolate may start to harden before it is mixed in. If this does happens, pop the bowl over a pan of hot water and allow it to warm through while stirring until the chocolate melts and combines to form a smooth silky icing. (Alternatively pop into the microwave and cook in 5– 10 second bursts and beating well after each burst.)
This quantity makes enough frosting to fill and top a 20cm (8.in) round cake a standard size tray bake or top about 12 cupcakes. I have used it for the topping for my Chocolate Passion Cake traybake.
Use it with vanilla or chocolate sponge cakes or anywhere you might want a chocolate flavoured icing.
I've used milk chocolate which gives a delicious mild chocolate flavour but you could use a dark plain chocolate for a more intense chocolatey hit.
More frostings and Fillings
How to make chocolate cream cheese frosting step by step
No time to make it now – Pin for later
Chocolate cream cheese frosting
- 350 g (12oz) cream cheese (full fat)
- 175 g (6oz) icing sugar sifted
- 175 g (6oz) milk chocolate broken into squares
- Beat 350g (12oz) cream cheese to soften.
- Gradually beat in 175g (6oz) of sifted icing sugar.
- Put the 175g (6oz) chocolate into a small bowl and place over a pan of hot water. Heat stirring until the chocolate has melted.
- Beat the chocolate into the cream cheese mixture to produce a smooth glossy frosting.
- Use as required.