Crisp melt in the mouth cinnamon cookies with a delicious crunchy meringue icing. These cinnamon star cookies are perfect for Christmas.
This post may contain affiliate links meaning I will earn a little commission made through these links at no additional cost to you but helping me to bring you all these recipes for free! Please refer to my Disclosures Page for more details.
I often make a batch of these delicious cinnamon cookies at Christmas time. They are quick and easy to make but always prove really popular with friends and family.
Cinnamon biscuits in various forms are traditional at Christmas times in many parts of Europe. These biscuits are lifted above ordinary with the addition of a thin layer of sweet crunchy icing.
The icing is made from a mixture of icing sugar and beaten egg white which is brushed onto the part baked cookies before they are returned to the oven to finish baking.
The cookies need no other decoration so are really quick and easy to make. In past years I have made these with holes in one of the points of the stars and hung them with ribbon on the Christmas tree where they looked rather fabulous.
The cookies keep well so can be made ahead of time. I like to make lots of small stars that are just one or two bites big. Perfect to serve with after dinner coffee, party nibbles or packed into boxes and given as gifts.
Pile into a box with some tissue to help prevent them from breaking and tie the box with a pretty ribbon. I love this Baked with Love Ribbon.
But the cookies work just as well as a more substantial biscuit to serve with a cuppa. You could also serve them as a biscuit to accompany a creamy dessert.
And of course you can make them any shape you want but somehow I think the shimmery finish of the icing is perfect for stars.
Step by Step Cinnamon Star Cookies
- 200 g (7oz) plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 100 g (3½oz) butter
- 75 g (3oz) golden caster sugar
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1 large egg white
- 75 g (3oz) icing sugar
- baking sheet
- baking sheet liner
- star cookie cutter
- Rolling Pin
- pastry brush
- Preheat the oven to 180℃ (160℃ fan)/350°F/gas mark 4. Lightly grease or line two baking sheets.
- Sift 200g (7oz) plain flour, ½ tsp baking powder and 2 tsp cinnamon into a mixing bowl. Rub in 100g (3½oz) butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in 75g (3oz) caster sugar then mix to a soft dough with one beaten egg.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface and cut into stars, using a biscuit cutter and place on the baking sheets.
- Make a hole in the top of each biscuit, with a skewer, if you want to be able to hang the biscuits on the tree.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile beat together one egg white and 75g (3oz) icing sugar. Brush over the tops of the biscuit and return to the oven for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Thread with ribbon if desired.