If strawberries and chocolate are the foods of love then you can be assured you are going to love these triple chocolate cupcakes.
I wanted to make the ideal cupcake for chocolate lovers. True chocolate lovers and I consider myself one of them, love white dark and milk chocolate equally. It is really hard to pick a favourite as it just depends on the occasion or the mood.
So how could incorporate all three in a single cupcake?
Well, the chocolate sponge is flavoured with cocoa with the addition of plain chocolate chips. That’s a good start!
Next, top with a generous swirl of my creamy rich white chocolate buttercream.
Then decorate with a fresh strawberry dipped in milk chocolate.
If you don’t love these then I give up! Well I won’t, I love baking too much and I’m not a quitter – I’m also pretty confident you will love them because what’s not to like.
How to make triple chocolate cupcakes step by step
If you liked these why not try one of my other cupcake recipes.
No time to make it now – Pin for later
Triple chocolate cupcake
- 150 g (5oz) golden caster sugar
- 100 g (3½oz) butter
- 2 large eggs
- 175 g (6oz) plain flour
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 150 ml (¼pt) milk
- 50 g (2oz) plain chocolate chips
- 1 quantity white chocolate buttercream
- 100 g (3½oz) milk chocolate
- 12 strawberries
- electric whisk
- 12 hole muffin tin
- cupcake cases
- piping bag
- star nozzle
- Preheat the oven to 190℃ (170℃ fan)/375°F/gas mark 5. Line a muffin tin with 12 cupcake cases.
- Beat 150g (5oz) sugar and 100g (3½oz) butter together until light and fluffy. Add 2 eggs one at a time beating well after each addition.
- Sift 175g (6oz) plain flour, 3tbsp cocoa powder and 2 tsp baking powder into the bowl and begin to fold in. When most of the flour has been incorporated add 150ml (¼pt) milk and mix well. Don't worry if the mixture looks a little curdled at this point.
- Stir in 50g (2oz) plain chocolate chips then divide equally between the cupcake cases, Bake in the centre of the oven for 18-20 minutes until springy to the touch. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, melt about 75g (3oz) of the 100g (3½oz) of milk chocolate over a pan of hot water. Remove from the heat. Stir in the remaining chocolate and stir until fully melted. Dip the 12 strawberries into the chocolate to coat about half coat the strawberry in chocolate. Place on a piece of baking parchment and allow to set.
- When completely cold, spoon the buttercream into a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle and pipe a swirl of buttercream on top of each cupcake. Finish with a chocolate dipped strawberry.