Chocolate Christmas Brownies with Mincemeat
This chocolate brownie recipe is not only a delicious Christmas bake, but also the perfect way of using half a jar of sweet mincemeat. It’s delicious and indulgent as you would expect with a brownie recipe that includes
real chocolate in the mixture.
- 225 g (8oz) butter cut into cubes
- 75 g (3oz) dark chocolate broken into pieces
- 75 g (3oz) milk chocolate broken into pieces
- 100 g (3½oz) golden caster sugar
- 75 g (3oz) light muscovado sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- 1 tsp orange extract
- 75 g (3oz) plain flour
- 25 g (1oz) cocoa powder
- 175 g (6oz) mincemeat
Preheat the oven to 180℃ (160℃ fan)/350°F/gas mark 4. Grease and fully line the cake tin
Place the 225g (8oz) butter and 75g (3oz) each of dark and milk chocolate in a heatproof bowl and place over a pan of gently simmering water. Stir until melted. Remove from the pan and allow to cool slightly.
Place 100g (3½oz) caster sugar, 75g (3oz) light muscovado sugar in a mixing bowl with 4 eggs and beat together with a balloon whisk until just combined. Whisk in 1tsp orange extract.
Pour the melted chocolate and butter mixture into the bowl stirring with the whisk to combine. Then sift 75g (3oz) plain flour and 25g (1oz) cocoa powder into the bowl and gently fold in with a spatula.
Stir 175g (6oz) mincemeat to loosen then add to the bowl and mix until just combined.
Pour the brownie batter into the prepared tinned spread evenly. Bake in the centre of the oven and bake for 40 – 50 minutes. The brownie is ready when a skewer inserted into the centre of the bake comes out with a few moist crumbs.
Remove the brownie from the oven and allow to cool completely in the tin. serve cut into pieces.
- It’s key to avoid over baking the brownie. Removing it too soon will result in it being too soft, though over baking it will create something more cake like. When ready it will no longer wobble in the centre, and a skewer inserted skewer will still hold some moist crumbs. Ours took 45 minutes to bake. Test after 40 minutes
- Brownies are best eaten the day after baking.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool place for up to 4 days.